10 Key Pet Industry Trends to Watch in 2021As people continue to treat their pets like family, pet parents are more willing than ever before to provide their pets with everything they could ever possibly need to be healthy, happy, and live longer. People have spent more on their pets year-over-year, from $95.7 billion in 2019 to $99 billion in 2020. According to pet industry projections, pet industry growth will continue to rise into 2021. Check out these ten pet industry trends for 2021.
1. Pet Health Insurance
In 2019, the global pet insurance market size was estimated at $3.8 billion and is projected to top $4.4 billion in 2020. Pet health insurance is the most dependable way for pet parents to afford their pets’ more expensive and sudden medical costs.
Why is pet health insurance necessary?
- Pet parents consider their pets family.
- Pets live longer and need more complex care.
- Technological advancements leading to more expensive care.
2. Quality Pet Food
Pets are part of the family, so why wouldn’t pet parents want their pets to eat as healthy as they do? As a result, pet parents choose clean, minimally processed foods.
Top trends in pet food include:
- Made in the USA: A product labeled “Made in the USA” is made from all US products, including packaging, ingredients, and production.
- Raw: A raw-food diet that contains raw meat, bones, fish, and vegetables.
- Limited-ingredient diets (LIDs): LIDs address health issues like allergies, sensitivities, and others.
- Ancient grains: A diet that includes quinoa, millet, chia seeds, amaranth, buckwheat, teff with little-to-no gluten.
3. Pet-Friendly TravelAs pet parents increasingly continue to see their pets as family members, it’s no surprise they want to take their pets on vacations. Pet parents now plan vacations around their pets, seeking pet-friendly places to stay and pet-friendly activities to share with their pets. Pet-friendly travel sites and resources like BringFido help pet parents plan where to stay and what to do with their pets.
4. Mobile Pet Grooming
Mobile pet grooming gives pet parents the opportunity to get a full range of pet grooming services from their homes. The popularity of mobile pet grooming continues to rise, particularly with people spending more time at home.
Why is mobile pet grooming popular?
- It keeps pet owners at home, providing an alternative to visiting the groomer during the pandemic.
- It’s ideal for older pet parents who are home-bound or have a hard time walking.
- Pet parents can schedule appointments that work with their schedule.
- Since no travel is involved, it’s perfect for anxious and aggressive pets.
- Pets aren’t confined to a kennel.
5. Natural Pet Products
Natural pet products continue to grow in popularity as pet parents are fearful of synthetic materials, toxicity, and other harmful materials. Not only do pet parents hope to sustain our planet, but they also hope to give their pets the safest products possible.
Popular natural pet products:
- Senior pet products
- Grooming products
- Dog and cat food
- Kitty litter
- Flea and tick repellents
Additional Pet Industry Trends to Look Out For
- 6. Virtual veterinary services: Virtual veterinary services provide convenience and safety during the pandemic.
- 7. Upscale pet spas: The industry is seeing a rise in upscale pet services like pet massage, facials, nail, teeth, and spa treatments.
- 8. Pet sitting: Pet sitting is a popular option for pet parents who are nervous about leaving their pets home alone.
- 9. Self-service dog wash: Pet parents use self-service dog washes to shampoo and dry their pets without risking a soapy mess at home.
- 10. Professional pet photography: Professional pet photographers incorporate props, scenery, and professional editing to create stunning pet portraits.
There you have it! Ten pet industry trends to know for 2021. Keep in mind; these are just a few of the pet industry products, services, and concepts seeing growth in 2021. As pet parents continue to spend more money on their pets, we can expect to see many trends develop next year.